Nothing is quite as worrying as discovering an unexplained lump on any part of the body. You might let out a sigh of relief once you realize it’s a lipoma and there’s nothing to worry about. But the thought of trying a lipoma removal at home has likely crossed your mind, especially if it’s causing complications, pain or becoming a bother. But is it safe?
Let us take a look at what a lipoma is, what causes it and whether there are any safety concerns about removing it at home. Finally, we will look at some home remedies that people have used with success.
What is a Lipoma?
A Lipoma is one of the most common types of benign tumors, meaning that it’s non-cancerous and therefore mostly harmless. It usually occurs as a soft, rubbery bulge right under the skin and tends to move around when pressed. Oftentimes, it results from an accumulation of fat cells on soft tissue, mostly in upper body parts. In most cases, their size ranges between 2-3 cm, but could at times grow as large as 10 cm or bigger.
When to Get Rid of a Lipoma
Since they are not harmful, many people choose not to treat them. As mentioned in the beginning however, when they cause discomfort or cosmetic issues, it would be best to get rid of them. While this can be done with surgical procedures, it is also possible to do a lipoma removal at home.
How Safe is Lipoma Removal at Home?
Home remedies for lipoma removal usually involve the use of natural ingredients such as herbs, oils and spices. Such natural remedies are non-invasive and therefore safe. The fact that they do not cause any side effects also enhances their safety. And the best part is that you can easily tell whether they are working or not by checking if the lump is shrinking.
How to Remove a Lipoma at Home
There are several options that you can effectively employ for lipoma removal at home. Take a look at some of the most popular ones:
1. Turmeric, Olive Oil, Chickweed and Beeswax
- Melt 2 tablespoons of beeswax and add 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix them well, let them cool and then add 1 tablespoon of chickweed powder and 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- Stir the mixture well and pour it into a jar
- Apply a small amount on the lump and cover
- Repeat the process once daily till the lump shrinks
2. Flour and Honey
- Combine 1 tablespoon of flour and 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- Apply on affected area and cover for 24-36 hours
- Repeat the process for an entire week to remove the fatty deposits causing the bulge
3. Green Tea, Flaxseed Oil and Neem Oil
- Mix the three ingredients in equal ratios to make a natural ointment
- Apply the ointment regularly on the affected area until it reduces in size
Depending on the availability of the above ingredients in your locality, you can use any of the above procedures for lipoma removal at home. In addition to being simple, the use of a home remedy also means no scarring. With these removal options, you can finally say goodbye to unsightly lipomas.